A facelift surgery, medically known as Rhytidectomy is a popular option of face plastic surgery that renders a younger and fresher appearance to your face to make it more supple and youthful. It helps in tightening and firming the facial muscles and tissues with reduced appearance of sagging skin, wrinkles and fine lines. In this facial surgery, the surgeon removes excess facial skin from the cheeks, face and neck lifts and re-drapes the skin to make it appear smoother and tighter that before. This surgery helps in providing a rejuvenated overall appearance along with improved self-esteem and confidence. The outcome of a face lift surgery is permanent and can last up to 10 years.
Problem Areas Targeted by Face Lift
There are a few specific problems that can be addressed effectively with this particular face cosmetic surgery.
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Loss of muscle tone in areas like face and neck
- Smile lines or deep creases at the corner of your mouth and base of nose
- Lost neck and chin contour
Benefits of Facelift Surgery
A facelift surgery can bring about a complete transformation in your appearance and turn back time. It benefits the face in various ways.
- Recovers loose skin – The sagging skin at the jawline and neck are one of the most prominent signs of skin aging. In facelift surgery, the sagging and loose skin is carefully trimmed and tightened to provide a more natural and youthful look to your face. But overly tightened skin can lead to stretched appearance.
- Tones facial muscles – The underlying muscle and tissue structure of the face, also known as the superficial musculo-aponeurotic system (SMAS) loses elasticity and tightness as we age. A facelift surgery restructures this underlying arrangement of muscles to provide better contours and configuration. This process aids the facelift surgery to last longer.
- Improving the contours – A facelift surgery also helps in restoring and improving the contours of the face to provide a smoother look to the under eyes, cheeks, jawline and neck and eliminate jowls.
Is Facelift for Everyone?
A facelift surgery is a cosmetic procedure to improve the appearance of the face, but it is common among middle-aged and older patients aged between 40 to 70 years. So, if you are in your twenties or thirties, then this might not be the ideal facial cosmetic surgery for you. Age is not really an issue when it comes to facelift surgery. Skin elasticity and overall health of the candidate is more important. People older than 70 years can also benefit from a facelift surgery. Both men and women are potential candidates for a facelift, and the steps of the procedure are same for both sexes. An ideal candidate for facelift surgery should retain a certain level of skin elasticity and suppleness, should have a well-defined facial bone structure, good overall health and above all realistic expectations.
A candidate for facelift should follow the pre and post-operative treatment and instructions provided by the plastic surgeon in order to make the surgery successful and long lasting.
Disclaimer: This is a guest post. The statements, opinions and data contained in these publications are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of Credihealth and the editor(s).