15 Questions to ask your surgeon
Whenever a patient is prescribed to go through tests and ready himself/herself for a surgical procedure, a number of questions run in the patient’s as well as his/her family members’ minds.
Owing to the urgency of the situation, it becomes confusing to them as to which question they should ask the surgeon and which they should not. Often the surgeon is not the monitoring physician and hence, patient families do not feel familiar with him/her. Yet, there are important questions that need to be answered for the satisfaction of the patient’s family and to ensure that the right surgical procedure is being resorted to.
Here is a compilation of the main questions that you need to ask your surgeon before a procedure, and the precise reason as to why you should do so.
- What is the surgery that is being recommended to me?
- Why do I need this surgery?
- What will be the approach of surgery? Will it be open or laparoscopic surgery?
- What if I do not opt for the surgery?
- What is the cost of Surgery?
- What are the benefits of this surgery?
- What are the risks of the surgery?
- What are the possible complications of surgery?
- What is the type of anesthesia that will be used?
- What is the surgeon’s experience in this procedure?
- How should I prepare for the surgery?
- Should I continue taking my routine medications?
- What should I expect during the surgery?
- What is the expected recovery time after the surgery?
- For how long will I have to take the medications after the surgery?
Thus, developing thorough knowledge of the different aspects of your operation will be a great way to seal your concerns much before the procedure is completed.