Nose Jobs in India
A Nose Job, scientifically known as Rhinoplasty, is a surgical procedure which involves reshaping the nose either for restoring its functions or for aesthetical purposes. Depending upon the purpose, a Nose Job may modify the bone, cartilage, or skin of the nose.
Generally, it is a safe procedure, but like other surgeries, it carries certain risks. If the patient undertakes precautions, and consults an experienced surgeon, he/she may experience fewer complications. In some cases patients are not satisfied with the output, and opt for a revised surgery.
To avoid such eventualities, it is advisable for the patient to clearly discuss with the surgeon about his/her expectations and hopes from the procedure. The doctor should also inform the patient about the surgery’s benefits, safety tips, and potential risks.
Reasons for having a Nose Job
The primary reasons why one opts for a Nose Job are as follows:
- Reshaping the nose
- Making the nose facially proportionate
- Repairing deformities after an injury
- Increasing or Decreasing the size of Nostrils
- Removing a Bump on the Nose
- Correcting a Birth Defect
- Improving Impaired Breathing or Chronic Congestion
- Opening Breathing Passages
- Straightening the Bridge
The subject matter expert for a Nose Job is a Plastic Surgeon
During consultation, the surgeon will discuss with the patient about his/her expectations from the surgery. The doctor will also require information about the patient’s medical history and will conduct a physical examination of the patient’s nose.
History: This includes information about past surgeries and current medication. The doctor will also need to know whether the patient suffers from Bleeding Disorder or has a history of Nasal Obstruction.
Physical Examination & Blood Tests: A physical examination of the nose and Blood Tests will help the doctor in determining the impact of the Nose Job on the patient’s appearance and breathing.
Discuss Expectations: For a better understanding of the goals of the surgery and expectations from it, the doctor may click photographs of the patient’s nose from different angles. This helps the doctor and the patient to discuss explicitly the options and desired outcome of a Nose Job.
Nose Job is a relatively safe surgical procedure carried out under local or general anesthesia. Depending upon the desired result and anatomy of the patient, the surgeon may either readjust bone & cartilage, or add some extra tissue. The surgeon may create an incision inside the nose or may also opt for an external incision.
After the necessary reshaping or rearranging, the surgeon drapes the skin and tissue over the structure of the nose. The surgeon may place a splint on outside of the nose to provide support to the new shape.
Like any other surgery, Nose Jobs may also impose certain complications, such as:
- Allergic Reaction to Anesthesia
- Permanent Nerve Damage
- Difficulty in Breathing
- Pain or Discoloration
One should undertake the following precautions before as well as after the procedure.
- One should ensure that a trained and experienced surgeon performs the procedure.
- Refrain from smoking at least one month before the surgery.
- Avoid intake of medicines that inhibit blood clotting or cause excess post-operative bleeding.
- After completion of the procedure, the patient should elevate his/her head for 24 hours to reduce swelling and bleeding.
- The patient should not blow nose after the procedure.
- Avoid strenuous activities.
- Eat high-fibre food to avoid constipation, as it may impose strain on the site of surgery.
- Refrain from extreme facial expressions.
- Use sunscreen before going out in the sun to prevent discoloration of the skin on nose.
- Abstain from placing eyeglasses or sunglasses on nose.
The patient will need to wear a nasal splint for seven to ten days post surgery. The patient may also experience swelling and bruising around the eyes that may last up to two weeks. Swelling of nose may last up to few months. Subsequently, nose will gradually appear redefined.