7 Easy Diet Control Tips
Have you heard the popular saying “you are what you eat” – it simply means a person’s body weight and physical appearance is determined by their eating habits.
Diet control is vital to fight obesity which is an imbalance between energy consumption and expenditure. What you eat can impact both, hence the greater significance of diet control in weight loss and maintenance.
Fats vs. carbohydrate
Energy from carbohydrates makes you feel more satisfied and for a longer period of time as compared to the energy from fats. So you don’t feel hungry often and tend to eat lesser amount. Carbohydrate is more thermogenic than fat and hence leads to more energy expenditure. The chances of overconsumption are higher in case of fats as compared to carbohydrates. Current scientific evidence indicates fat-reduced diets cause a 3-4-kg larger weight loss than normal-fat diets.[i] A 10% reduction in dietary fat can cause a 4-5-kg weight loss in individuals.[ii]
Here are some diet control tips to help you achieve the desired body weight
- Restrict intake of fat and calories in every meal.
- Eat a low-fat diet because fat has very high energy density and gets absorbed quickly, thus tend to be consumed in higher quantities.
- Increase intake of protein in your diet because proteins help to increase weight loss.
- Consume less sugar because sugar-sweetened beverages promote weight gain.
- Diets that make you feel satiated gives better results over long period of time.
- Increase in fiber is also effective.
- The best diet for controlling obesity is low in fat and sugar, and high in carbohydrates, fiber, grains and proteins. This also helps to prevent risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
Sources: [i] Astrup A. The role of dietary fat in obesity. PubMed. February 2005.
[ii] Astrup A. The role of dietary fat in obesity. PubMed. February 2005.