Brain Tumor – Risk Factors & Symptoms
A brain tumor or intracranial neoplasms few abnormal cells multiply in an abnormal, uncontrollable way. It can either be malignant or cancerous and or benign or non-cancerous. There are several risk factors that increase a person’s chances of contracting a brain tumor. These include:
- Age: They are common in children and older individuals.
- Gender: Men have increased predisposition to developing cancer, but there are few types which are found more in women.
- Genetic background: There are few brain tumors that show increased linkage to genetic inheritance.
- Environmental exposure: This is one of the most crucial risk factors that leads to brain tumors. Exposure to chemicals likes solvents, pesticides (through inhalation or indirectly by consuming them) either at home or at work is one of the primary risk factors. Other environmental causes like allergens, viruses and infections might also lead to brain tumor. Specific viruses like Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and cytomegalovirus (CMV) increase the chances of CNS lymphoma.
- Exposure to electromagnetic and ionizing radiations: EM radiations that emit from cell phone use or power lines have not yet been proven to increase the chances of getting brain tumor; however it is controversial. Exposure to ionizing radiations like X rays also increases the chances.
- Head injuries and seizures: Any serious trauma in the head may lead to increased chances of meningioma. Although the prevalence of brain tumors is increased in patients suffering from seizures, it is yet not confirmed if seizures or the medications that treat seizures cause them.
- Headaches and Seizures: Increased frequency of headaches, both in number and regularity might force you to visit a neurologist. Rise in intracranial pressure (increased pressure in the brain due to formation of the clot) causes them. Take special note of the time when you suffer from these headaches and convey it to your physician. Although the intensity might be higher when you wake up and may decrease as the day passes. Any activity (bending/sneezing) that might alter or increase the pressure may further deteriorate it.
- Nausea: Frequency of nausea increases when you have brain tumor. Incidents of nausea would worsen in the mornings.
- Drowsiness: You might have increased episodes of drowsiness and may sometimes lead to unconsciousness.
- Problems related to eyes: You might face blurred vision, temporary loss of vision and floating shapes that indicate floating shapes, tunnel vision, or a loss of vision that comes and goes. Sometimes opticians pick up these problems Raised intracranial pressure can also cause problems with your eyes and fits (seizures).
List of trusted neurologists in India from top Hospitals –
This write-up was contributed by Credihealth content team:
Credihealth is a medical assistance company that gives guidance to a patient from the first consultation through the entire hospitalization process. A team of in-house Credihealth doctors helps the patient find the right doctor, book appointment, request cost estimate for procedures and manage admission & discharge processes.
Share your comments and queries below and we will be happy to guide you through.
Get FREE medical assistance to select the best neurologist in India from trusted hospitals.