10 Body Changes to Expect When You Are Expecting
Mr. E (Embryo) has found itself a comfortable job at your Uterus and currently on 9 month probation period. It has come with two fellows- hormone Estrogen (Mr. EG) and hormone Progesterone (Mrs. PG). (These two are going to play an important role in future, which we will know little later in this article). Team O (Organs- all the team members of Mr. E) are ready to welcome the new member by giving it space, though at times it’s going to be tough competition of survival. To welcome the new member, team O is volunteering to share the burden by working little extra, by taking little more pressure but at times the Co. M (Company -New Mommy) may feel fatigue or other different body changes.
Co. M is ready to take all the challenges to see the D Day where beautiful extension will come in existence but to reach the D Day, a journey would be needed. A journey where the love, care and compassion would nurture the dream of Co. M and Team O.
Co. M is going to face lot of physical changes during the tenure of 9 months, of which many are attributable to Mr. EG and Mrs. PG and the major ones include:
(Though the changes are common in most of the pregnancy, some may however not feel one or more of them.)
- Hair: We know you love your hair, you do care a lot about it. So the new joiner E is coming with a beautiful gift of bouncy and healthy hair, a gift funded by Mr. EG & Mrs. PG. Because of these two, hair fall is going to reduce for some time, however it will resume to normal few months post-delivery, but we can enjoy till the time Mr. E is aboard. Also, there can be some unwanted hairs on body and there can be changes in the texture of nail or hair permanently.
- Breasts: They are preparing for the major role post probation of Mr. E.
In the preparation process, mommy may feel tenderness, sourness, swelling or darkened nipples and areolas. Some women may notice the colostrum in their third trimester which is nothing but the milk secretion in preparation of baby’s upcoming needs. Also, be prepared for lots and lots of lingerie shopping along with the other shopping. After every some time, you may feel that these the current ones do not fit you anymore.My husband say, “Throughout your pregnancy, you were in a trauma of, will I ever be able to wear my favorite pre-pregnancy cloths?” I think every women goes through it.
- Lungs: Along with Team O, lungs need to provide oxygen to Mr. E, placenta and uterus means the task is almost doubled. So, mommy may feel shortness of breath.
- Heart: Heart is the blood supplier of Co. M. Since the cliental has enhanced so is the work along with the pressure from Mr. EG & Mrs. PG. Results being High/Low blood pressure along with growing pregnancy.
- Digestive or Gastric system: With new member on board, team feels space crunch, all organs of team O are getting squeezed, impacting their performances as well. Results being one or more of issues like- heartburn, Gas or constipation. However, in case of Heartburn, there is a twist, as Mr. E move towards end of probation (around 9th month), he prepares himself for labor, in the process the Mr. E moves a little down and mommy may notice that suddenly she is relieved from heartburn. At least I felt so.
- Spinal Cord & Stomach: Increasing body and uterus weight puts pressure on these two so Co. M may feel aches and little strain types feeling around stomach and back.
- Kidney & Urinary system:Since the first trimester, kidney, bladder and pelvic muscles etc. urinary system bears pressure of expanding uterus. So mommy may feel the need to urinate frequently or leaking urine while sneezing, laughing etc.
- Ligament Pain: Ligament is the member of Team O, who in the normal course, holds the pubic/pelvic bones firmly to maintain body balance. But with Mr. E on board, the body prepares itself for the labor, so ligaments loose over the period of time. This loosening of ligaments creates pain to mommy.
- Varicose veins: Varicose veins are the enlarged veins which normally look purple, bluish or red and develops usually around legs and thighs. However in some cases it may also appear in vagina or buttock area.
Increased blood volume, Mr. EG & Mrs. PG playing around, decreased rate of blood flow, increased body weight, long standing are most of the attributing causes of varicose veins. They generally appear during second term of probation and diminish within three months to one year of delivery. Usually the Varicose veins are harmless, although they may become itchy, uncomfortable, swollen and painful sometimes.
- Skin:In pregnancy, skin behaves very drastically, there are few types of changes skin can show:
a) Skin Type: E along with Mr. EG and Mrs. PG may change Co. M’s skin type permanently.
For e.g. if mommy have a dry skin, she may suddenly feel pimples or acne, vice-versa if she has oily skin, she may feel dry skin suddenly.
b) Baby E’s love Prints: Probably the first case where employee gives award to the company in the form of ‘Stretch Marks’. I think it’s so cute.
So this is a form of locking the great memory which mommy and baby shared during the 9 months of on job training. They start to appear starting second trimester, prominently on abdomen, breasts, thighs and buttocks.
c) Linea Nigra: Now that’s a line which appears on tummy area, starting below the rib cage and going to lower abdomen via belly button, usually around second trimester of probation (pregnancy).
Some old grannies predict baby’s sex (male/female) based on this (though it failed miserably in my case). Some say it appears because of heartburn.
It can also be accompanied with little hair, probably Mr. E requires more cushioning around.
Just like stretch marks, it is slowly going to fade away post probation. In most of the cases, it goes away completely unlike stretch marks.
d) Skin Glow: Skin glow varies in each pregnancy and in case of every women.
In my case, it was fluctuating, like my husband said, “One day, you were glowing like Diwali light and the other day, you looked so pale, and I felt something is killing you inside. Over the period of time, I realized it’s nothing but Mr. E is sending signals via the skin glow about how Co. M is treating him. He was praising and complaining about Co. M via the skin glow.”
Jokes apart, it can be due to any reason like- stress level to jolly mood, from rest to exertion, Mr. EG and Mrs. PG, mommy’s diet or Daddy’s care, you never know.
Other random changes
Other body changes you may feel or notice are:
i) Change in foot size: In some cases, Co. M may even find that the foot size is changed by a number or two post pregnancy.
ii) Leg Swelling: In the last trimester, legs may get swollen with the increased weight, mommy may find it tough to remove the footwear in the evening which she wore in morning only.
iii) Tooth: Old grannies say a woman loose one teeth per child. Having said that you need to do a little more care of your teeth while pregnant.
iv) Dryness and Itching: Some women face dryness and itching around stomach and legs area.
v) Nausea and morning sickness: Quite known and common thing, some may have it throughout pregnancy or some may feel only in first trimester, totally unpredictable.
vi) Mood Swings: Mr. E and Mrs. P again comes in picture.
So now you know whom to blame when your wife’s mood suddenly goes to moon from earth or earth to sea, or
she suddenly starts sweating.
Though there may be many more, I have tried to list down as much as I could. I wish you to have a smooth, comfortable and enjoyable pregnancy and an easy delivery. These are based on my experience and research so far, hope it helps you but it’s always better to follow your gynecologist’s advice.
Degree says, I am a chartered accountant but heart says I am a pigeon who once seeded a flower. My flower is yet to grow and blossom. At present it’s a bud who is giving me amazing experiences of my life. I am sitting on tree top, watching my bud blossoming around and making joyful sounds. I am Khushboo Jain, an active member of New Moms’ Club and a core contributor on Credihealth blog.
Disclaimer: The views mentioned above are only of the author. Credihealth is not responsible for any kind of discrepancy.